What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. The end goal of SEO is to make your website more search-engine friendly so that more people can find it. Ultimately, you want to increase the quantity and quality of traffic that arrives on your website by clicking through organic search engine results.
Ok, so what are “organic search engine results”?
Let’s say your company, Rad Fake Canna Co, sells pre-roll THC and CBD products in the Southern California region. When someone searches something like “Rad Fake Canna Co”, or “best pre-rolls in SoCal” on Google, organic search results are the links or websites that appear below the ads or sponsored listings on a Google search results page.
Making your website more search engine-friendly and building an SEO strategy involves researching the keywords or queries that people are actually typing into Google in order for your website or your competitors’ websites to appear in the listings. Then, optimizing your website so that it appears higher in the results for those keywords.
We know, this sounds complicated and time consuming. That’s why our team of Search Engine Optimization Specialists are here to build and implement a strategy that you can understand. We can get your website to appear for more relative keywords, and ultimately drive more traffic to your website!
The big pillars for positive SEO are:
- Quality of traffic. You can attract all the visitors in the world, but if they’re coming to your site because Google tells them you’re a resource for dispensaries when really you’re a farmer selling Cannabis, that is not high quality organic traffic. Instead you want to attract visitors who are genuinely interested in products that you offer.
- Quantity of traffic. Once you have the right people clicking through from those search engine results pages, your volume of meaningful web traffic will increase. The only question then is how do we keep things consistent and stay on top of competitors.
- Organic results. Ads make up a significant portion of many search engine results. Organic traffic is any traffic that you don’t have to pay for. We don’t have to worry about this much since Cannabis companies are forbidden from advertising through popular paid ad networks like Facebook and Google.
Why is this important for Cannabis Companies?
The reason SEO is so important for the Cannabis industry boils down to two big factors
1. We can’t pay for Google Adwords. Any non-Cannabis Industry business is allowed to pay for advertising through Google or Facebook. Cannabis and even legal hemp companies are forbidden from working with these huge networks (we’re working on a post detailing this in more depth), as it explicitly breaks the Terms of Service for both companies. Unfortunately, Cannabis companies can’t pay to be at the top of Google and if you don’t take all the steps needed to get to the first page, then your canna-company might as well be invisible.
2. For brands and retailers, it’s critical for them to have a strong SEO in order to be found. Optimizing business and map listings around the web is an absolute must for these companies to be found. Google your business, if you’re not showing up as any of the top results, you’re missing out on business. A few easy tasks are to claim your Google My Business Page, ask your customers for Google Reviews for your cannabis business, and upgrade to a branded email address.
CannaPlanners is constantly evolving the cannabis SEO services that we offer. Looking to have your cannabis brand stand out from the competition? Fill out the form below and someone will get back to you soon!