What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. The end goal of any SEO strategy is to make your website more search-engine friendly so that more people can find it. Ultimately, we want to increase the quantity AND quality of traffic that arrives on your website from Google and other search engines.
An Example of SEO in the Cannabis or CBD Industry
Let’s say your company, Rad Fake Canna Co, sells pre-roll THC and CBD products in the Southern California region. When someone goes to Google to search something like “Rad Fake Canna Co”, or “best pre-rolls in SoCal”, you want your website to appear in the organic search results (or the links & websites that appear below the ads or sponsored listings) – preferably on the first page!
How Do I Make My CBD or Hemp Website More Search Engine Friendly?
Making your website more search engine-friendly (“optimizing” your website) requires having a thoughtful and effective SEO strategy. Forming a strategy involves researching the keywords or queries that people are actually typing into Google in order for your website, or your competitors’ websites, to appear in the listings.
Then, we optimize your website so that it appears higher in the results for those keywords being searched. We do this by writing informative content utilizing the keywords we know people are searching for, and placing them in the right places on your site.
We know, this sounds complicated and time consuming. That’s why our team of Search Engine Optimization Specialists are here to build and implement a strategy that is easy to understand. We can get your website to appear for more relative keywords, and ultimately drive more traffic to your website!
Why is SEO important for Cannabis Companies?
The reason search engine optimization and driving high quality organic traffic to your site is so important for the Cannabis industry boils down to two big factors
1. We can’t pay for Google Adwords. Any non-Cannabis Industry business is allowed to pay for advertising through Facebook or Google. Cannabis and even legal hemp & CBD companies are basically forbidden from working with these huge networks, as it explicitly breaks the Terms of Service. Unfortunately, Cannabis companies can’t pay to be at the top of Google and if you don’t take all the steps needed to get to the first page, then your dispensary, hemp business, or CBD company might as well be invisible.
2. You need to to optimize your site in order to be found! It’s critical for CBD brands and retailers to have a strong SEO strategy if they want customers to be able to land on their site & purchase products. Optimizing Google My Business profiles and cannabis business directory listings around the web is an absolute must – and it’s just one piece of an effective strategy.
Do a Google search for your business and/or a few products you sell; if you’re not showing up on the first page, you’re missing out on valuable website traffic!
Some important things to keep in mind when discussing SEO:
- Quality of traffic. You can attract all the visitors in the world, but if they’re coming to your site because Google tells them you’re a resource for dispensaries when really you’re a farmer selling Cannabis, that is not high quality organic traffic. Instead, you want to attract visitors who are genuinely interested in products or services that you offer.
- Quantity of traffic. Once you’re showing up in Search for the keywords that make sense for your business, your volume of meaningful web traffic will increase. The only question then is how do we keep things consistent and stay on top of competitors.
- Organic results. Ads make up a significant portion of search engine results pages. Organic traffic is any traffic that you don’t have to pay for. We don’t have to worry about this much since Cannabis companies are forbidden from advertising through popular paid ad networks like Facebook and Google.
Contact CannPlanners To Discuss An SEO Strategy For Your Website
CannaPlanners is constantly evolving the SEO services that we offer. Looking to have your cannabis brand stand out from the competition? Fill out the form below and someone will get back to you soon!